Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Blank Canvas

I have saved over 10 years of magazine lettering and calligraphy. I sit staring at a white computer screen. I feel like I feel when am sitting in front of and white stretched canvas I am paralysis. I must admit that I am a art supply and materials hoarder. I thought it would help if I would work on this blogging thingie, but like the canvas and entering a new journey with my art; my mind and muse are silenced.  I started this blog several years ago and visit sites of other people. There is some awesome and talented people in cyber-space and at age 65 years or so, I still feel like that four year old who was practically thrown to a classroom with other children all taller than me. I had  heard stories about this strange place brought home from at my older cousin, two months, along with boasting of having a brown bag lunch like the ones Nana made for my grandfather to take to work.


One day my grandmother braided my hair along with a morning bath. Without words, she held my hand as she pulled me through the neighborhood and down paths of concrete and bushes.  Nana left me with a swift about-face, a whisper to the white lady standing in front of the room.  Her instruction to me was to stand outside in front of the school and wait for my cousin so that we could walk home together. Speaking in whispering voice, the white lady spoke softly as she pointed towards  a pad of newsprint draped over an easel. Jars of  blue, green, red, black and yellow color lined a little shelf at the bottom of the little stand. Tall thin brushes stood inside the containers. My mother claims that I could call out colors since I was two years old.  My love with art supplies and school started then.

8" x 11" canvas paneled in a shadow box of cedar. This is made with a collage of wrapping paper, magazine "clip-art" from my lettering and calligraphy stash. The birds just happen to be flying around on that day.  I need some more practice with my photographic work.  "HOPE" was created during a period in my life where healing was needed.

I enjoy mixed-media art (too fun for words!!), I have dabbled with all kinds of mediums since that first day of kindergarten and I guess that is when my art adventure began. I discovered with oil painting as soon as I discovered that you could paint on canvas board and that came without numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment